So happy you’re thinking about connecting! Check my Google calendar at the bottom of the page for my current calendar of events. Click on the Invite Me to Speak tab to discuss options, dates, fees or request more information.
UPDATE FOR 2015-2016 SCHOOL YEAR!
I am open to a limited number of visits this year, starting in 2015. My two picture books have gone out of print, but I will still speak to K-3 and have some books available for purchase. For school visits for 5th and up, I’m open to invitations. I am also happy to recommend another author for your school if you are looking for someone to do a visit. Just send me a request!
- School & Library Visits
- Book Fairs
- Keynote Speaker
- Groups & Events
- Virtual Visits
- Ways to Pay
- Invite Me to Speak
School and Library Visits
I visit schools and libraries to talk about books, writing, revising, and the life of a writer. You may choose from a variety of standard talks listed in my brochure and fee schedule or we can work together on a visit that is customized for your students or other audience.Brochure and Fees
Fee Schedule Only
Concerned about paying for a visit?
Go to the Ways to Pay tab to explore ways to make it happen! Get your students involved and the event will mean that much more to them.
NOTE: For author events highlighting books other than Fact of Life #31, you can also book through Denise’s publisher. Click here for more information.
If you’re in Denver, CO or the surrounding area, I’d love to come to your book fair and do a reading and/or autograph books.
Free Author Visit in Conjunction with Your Book Fair
My experience has shown that a visit to the school prior to a book fair results in significant sales–which means more for your school so everyone wins!
Here’s how it works:
- If you’re in Denver, CO or the surrounding area, invite me to speak.
- Once I’m scheduled at your Fair, we can set up your FREE 10-15 minute school presentation–preferably the same day or the day before your book fair. I will do up to 3 consecutive presentations in one day For older readers, the presentation is an excerpt from a book, performed “reader’s theater-style” using scripts and pre-selected students from your school to present along with me. For younger readers, I do a reading of the book, sometimes with accompanying slides of the illustrations.
- If you wish to do one of my longer presentations in conjunction with your book fair, fees will apply but will be discounted. See the brochure and fee schedule for more information.
Does Your Book Fair Conflict with My Calendar?
I’m happy to come after your Fair! Set up a free post-Fair “meet and greet” and/or a booksigning!
I’m happy to talk to you about being a keynote or featured speaker at your event!
Fees for this type of speaking arrangement vary, so once you fill out the form we can discuss that.
I’d love to come speak to your group! I have spoken at meetings for writers, book clubs, teachers, local IRA chapters, and at libraries for the general community. I have also given writing workshops to teen writing groups at libraries, in addition to groups of adults. I love to teach others some of the things I’ve learned along the way. We can work with writing, revising, and other topics.Meetings & Workshops Private Groups
The brochures represent a sampling of what I can do. If you have something different in mind, let’s talk! I’m very flexible (unless you ask me to do the splits :)).
You may be across the country but that doesn’t mean we can’t visit! If you have video conferencing available via Skype or another means, I can visit your students or group virtually.
Most of my in-person sessions – including writing and revising workshops – can be tailored for a virtual visit so check out my brochure (requires Adobe® Reader®) for session topics and descriptions.
Some sessions designed exclusively for virtual visits are:
- Tour de Office (including a sneak peek into my snack drawer)
- My writing and revising process
- Confessions of a Procrastinating Writer
Autographed copies of books sent to schools, libraries, and groups who set up and complete a paid Skype visit. Fees vary depending on type and length of session.
Free 10-15 Minute Meet ‘N Greet!
I offer a free 10-15 minute meet ‘n greet/Q&A Skype session. The only requirement is that your group or class has read at least one of my books before the visit.
See You on Skype
My address is denise-vega.
Here are some ways to pay for an author visit
- Apply for a Grant Check local arts councils for grants.
- Amber Brown Grant Provided through the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI). Funds provided to bring an author or illustrator to your school. “…this grant is primarily focused on bringing an author or illustrator to a school that cannot or has not been able to afford this privilege.” Selects two schools each year to receive an all expense paid visit by a well respected children’s author or illustrator. Additionally, one runner up school will be selected and rewarded with books valued at $250.00.
- Team with a Local Library or Bookstore You can share costs with another entity and both of you will an opportunity to visit with the author.
- Organize a Book Sale Many of my books can be purchased at a discount for school use or events. You can then sell the books at a higher cost with your school keeping the profits. With enough sales you can pay for my visit and possibly some other things on your school’s wishlist! I recommend students ordering books prior to my visit. Go to the Educators page, on the book chart find the book(s) you are interested in ordering, then contact the publisher for book cost and delivery information.
- Download the “Pay for a Visit” document for more ideas!
Creative ideas for paying for a school or library visit.Author Visit Tips
Making sure your author visit is a success.
- writing workshops
- book clubs
- Skype visits
- keynote/special speeches for all ages.
I am also happy to recommend an author for your school--just select the proper option below.
References/recommendations available upon request