So happy you’re thinking about connecting! Check my Google calendar at the bottom of the page for my current calendar of events.
UPDATE FOR 2016-2017 SCHOOL YEAR!
Let’s get together! Spring and Fall 2017 is the time to book a visit. I have a new picture book out called If Your Monster Won’t Go to Bed and with it, a brand new interactive presentation–yahoo!
To go directly to the Visit Request Form, Click on the Invite Me to Speak tab below.
- School & Library Visits
- Book Fairs
- Family Literacy Night
- Keynote Speaker
- Groups & Events
- Virtual Visits
- Ways to Pay
- Invite Me to Speak
School and Library Visits
I visit schools and libraries to talk about books, writing, revising, and the life of a writer. We can work together on a visit that is customized for your students or other audience.Brochure and Fees
Want ideas about paying for a visit?
Go to the Ways to Pay tab to explore ways to make it happen! Get your students involved and the event will mean that much more to them.
If you’re in Denver, CO or the surrounding area, I’d love to come to your book fair and do a reading and/or autograph books.
Free Author Visit in Conjunction with Your Book Fair
My experience has shown that a visit to the school prior to a book fair results in significant sales–which means more for your school so everyone wins! If you’re in or around the great Denver, CO area, download my flyer for more information. Book Fair Flyer
Does Your Book Fair Conflict with My Calendar?
I’m happy to come after your Fair! Set up a free post-Fair “meet and greet” and/or a booksigning!
I would love to provide a 20-30 minute presentation for your school Family Literacy Night!
A typical presentation includes:
- a brief talk about what reading and writing means to me
- Reading from one or more of my books (often with the help of brave audience members!)
- Interactive activities/games
Cost: Round-trip mileage reimbursement* and the opportunity to sell books after my presentation.
*If you are more than 10 miles one-way from Denver, I will ask for a small honorarium.
I’m happy to talk to you about being a keynote or featured speaker at your event!
Fees for this type of speaking arrangement vary, so once you fill out the form we can discuss that.
I’d love to come speak to your group! I have spoken at meetings for writers, book clubs, teachers, local IRA chapters, and at libraries for the general community. I have also given writing workshops to teen writing groups at libraries, in addition to groups of adults. I love to teach others some of the things I’ve learned along the way. We can work with writing, revising, and other topics. I’m very flexible (unless you ask me to do the splits :).
You may be across the country but that doesn’t mean we can’t visit! If you have video conferencing available via Skype or another means, I can visit your students or group virtually.
Most of my in-person sessions – including writing and revising workshops – can be tailored for a virtual visit so check out my brochure (requires Adobe® Reader®) for session topics and descriptions.
Some sessions designed exclusively for virtual visits are:
- Tour de Office (including a sneak peek into my snack drawer)
- My writing and revising process
- Confessions of a Procrastinating Writer
Autographed copies of books sent to schools, libraries, and groups who set up and complete a paid Skype visit. Fees vary depending on type and length of session.
Free 10-15 Minute Meet ‘N Greet!
I offer a free 10-15 minute meet ‘n greet/Q&A Skype session. The only requirement is that your group or class has read at least one of my books before the visit.
See You on Skype
My address is denise-vega.
Here are some ways to pay for an author visit
- Apply for a Grant Check local arts councils for grants.
- Amber Brown Grant Provided through the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI). Funds provided to bring an author or illustrator to your school. “…this grant is primarily focused on bringing an author or illustrator to a school that cannot or has not been able to afford this privilege.” Selects two schools each year to receive an all expense paid visit by a well respected children’s author or illustrator. Additionally, one runner up school will be selected and rewarded with books valued at $250.00.
- Team with a Local Library or Bookstore You can share costs with another entity and both of you will an opportunity to visit with the author.
- Organize a Book Sale Books can be purchased at a discount for author visits. You can then pass those savings on to your students or sell the books at a higher cost to fundraise or help pay for my visit! Click the button for instructions on ordering books directly from the publisher for an author visit for If Your Monster Won’t Go to Bed.
You can also partner with your favorite local bookstore to sell books.
- Download the “Pay for a Visit” document for more ideas!
Creative ideas for paying for a school or library visit.
Making sure your author visit is a success.
References/recommendations available upon request