AppearancesSchool and library visits, workshops, keynote addresses and more
So happy you’re thinking about connecting! You can see below the variety of options I offer—from half and full day visits to schools and libraries to Family Literacy Nights to virtual visits on Skype or Google Hangouts.
I’d also love to be a part of your book fair—I’ve found that a quick visit to the school the day of a fair sparks interest and book sales!
Check my Google calendar at the bottom of the page for my current calendar of events and then fill out the form at the bottom of the page to discuss options, dates, fees or request more information.
Brochure updated August 2017
Let’s Connect! Which appearance is right for you?
School & Library Visits
I visit schools and libraries to talk about books, writing, revising, and the life of a writer, but am flexible as to topics. We can work together on a visit that is customized for your students or other audience.
Need help paying for a visit?
Go to the Ways to Pay tab to explore ways to make it happen! Get your students involved and the event will mean that much more to them.
If you’re in Denver, CO or the surrounding area, I’d love to come to your book fair and do a reading and/or autograph books.
Free Author Visit in Conjunction with Your Book Fair
My experience has shown that a visit to the school prior to a book fair results in significant sales–which means more for your school so everyone wins! Here’s how it works:
- If you’re in Denver, CO or the surrounding area, invite me to appear at your Fair. I can read, autograph books, or both.
- Once I’m scheduled at your Fair, we can set up your FREE 10-15 minute school presentation–preferably the same day or the day before your book fair. I will do up to 3 consecutive presentations in one day. For older readers, the presentation is an excerpt from a book, performed “reader’s theater-style” using scripts and pre-selected students from your school to present along with me. For younger readers, I do a reading of the book.
- If you wish to do one of my longer presentations in conjunction with your book fair, fees will apply but will be discounted. See my 1-page brochure for more information.
Does Your Book Fair Conflict with My Calendar?
I’m happy to come after your Fair! Set up a free post-Fair “meet and greet” and/or a booksigning!
If you’re reading one of my books for a book club, I’m happy to come chat with the group before, during or after your discussion. If you’re in Denver, CO or the surrounding area we could set up an in-person time. If you’re far away, we can have a virtual chat.
Would you just like me to pop in to autograph books at your bookstore, school, or library? Great! Let’s set a date.
Family Literacy Night
I would love to provide a 20-30 minute presentation for your school Family Literacy Night!
A typical presentation includes:
- a brief talk about what reading and writing means to me
- Reading from one or more of my books (often with the help of brave audience members!)
- Interactive activities/games
Cost: Round-trip mileage reimbursement and the opportunity to sell books after my presentation.*
*If you are more than 10 miles one-way from Denver, I will also ask for a small honorarium.
I’m happy to talk to you about being a keynote or featured speaker at your event! Fees for this type of speaking arrangement vary, so once you fill out the form we can discuss that.
Groups & Events
I’d love to come speak to your group! I have spoken at conferences and meetings for writers, book clubs, teachers, local IRA chapters, and at libraries for the general community. I have also given writing workshops to teen writing groups at libraries, in addition to groups of adults. I love to teach others some of the things I’ve learned along the way. We can work with writing, revising, and other topics.
A sampling of the classes and workshops I’ve taught:
If you have something different in mind, let’s talk! I’m very flexible (unless you ask me to do the splits :).
You may be across the country but that doesn’t mean we can’t visit! If you have video conferencing available via Skype or another means, I can visit your students or group virtually. Most of my in-person sessions – including writing and revising workshops – can be tailored for a virtual visit so check out my brochure (requires Adobe® Reader®) for session topics and descriptions. Some sessions designed exclusively for virtual visits are:
- Tour de Office (including a sneak peek into my snack drawer)
- My writing and revising process
- Confessions of a Procrastinating Writer
Autographed copies of books sent to schools, libraries, and groups who set up and complete a paid Skype visit. Fees vary depending on type and length of session.
Free 10-15 Minute Meet ‘N Greet!
I offer a free 10-15 minute meet ‘n greet/Q&A Skype session. The only requirement is that your group or class has read at least one of my books before the visit.
My address is denise-vega.
Ways to Pay for a Visit
Here are some ways to pay for an author visit
- It’s a field trip that comes to you! Have each student pay a small amount to pay for or offset the cost of the fee.
- Apply for a Grant Check local arts councils for grants.
- Amber Brown Grant Provided through the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI). Funds provided to bring an author or illustrator to your school. “…this grant is primarily focused on bringing an author or illustrator to a school that cannot or has not been able to afford this privilege.” Selects two schools each year to receive an all expense paid visit by a well respected children’s author or illustrator. Additionally, one runner up school will be selected and rewarded with books valued at $250.00.
- Team with a Local Library or Bookstore You can share costs with another entity and both of you will an opportunity to visit with the author.
- Organize a Book Sale Many of my books can be purchased at a discount for school use or events. You can then sell the books at a higher cost with your school keeping the profits. With enough sales you can pay for my visit and possibly some other things on your school’s wishlist! I recommend students pre-ordering books prior to my visit.
If you are interested in IF YOUR MONSTER WON’T GO TO BED, download the publisher ordering information using the button below.
- Download the “Pay for a Visit” document for more ideas!
Creative ideas for paying for a school or library visit.
Making sure your author visit is a success
Invite Me to Speak
Please make sure your email address and/or phone # is correct! This is the only way I can contact you.