About DeniseFun facts for your book report, event or just because you're curious
- Society for Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) Regional Advisor Emeritus (RAE), served 10 years
- Author’s Guild (AG)
- Colorado Author’s League (CAL)
- Colorado Council, International Reading Association (CCIRA)
- Assembly on Literature for Adolescents (ALAN)
- Board Member, Reach Out and Read Colorado (RORCO)
- Associate Member, Mountains & Plains Booksellers Association
CURRENT FACULTY POSITIONS
- Fiction and Young Adult Mentor, Regis University MFA in Creative Writing, (I also facilitate an optional picture book writing semester)
- Adjunct Faculty, Professional Creative Writing Program, University College at the University of Denver, overview of Children’s Literature
- Faculty, Lighthouse Writers Workshop, writing for children and young adults
WHAT I’M READING
See below for some of my favorite things and answers to question I get asked most often.
The mountains of Colorado
Fave Candy and Snacks
Butterfinger (bites OK)
ChocoLove Mint Bar
Malted Milk eggs (must have that crunchy exterior0
Ruffles Reduced Fat potato chips
Avocados (esp from CA)
French Fries (but I’m picky)
Roasted cauliflower (it’s true)
Fave Ice Cream
Banana Caramel Crunch (at Glacier near my house)
Ben & Jerry’s: Cherry Garcia, Peanut Butter Fudge Core, Salted Caramel Core
Cold Stone: Peanut Butter Cup Perfection(R)
(You’re killin’ me, guys!)
P.S. Not a fan of soft ice cream
Halloween for a long time, but now it’s Thanksgiving because we have a fabulous “Leftover Turkey Show” – a variety show in which many family members perform
FAQs About Denise
When and where were you born?
Where did you go to school?
Do you have any kids?
Where do you live?
Do you have any pets?
Do you have any siblings?
What kind of music do you like?
What’s your shoe size?
Where do you get your ideas for your books?
Did you always want to be a writer?
When I was really young, I wanted to be a vet, then a firefighter, then a dancer. In junior high and high school I wanted to be either an actor or a writer. As I entered college, writing started to grab my interest more.
What influenced you in your writing?
If you weren’t a writer, what would you be?
What else are you interested in?
Meditation, yoga, Zumba, jogging/running and I LOVE nature, especially the mountains and the water there–put me next to a stream, river, waterfall and I’m in heaven. Love the ocean too—especially the Caribbean—but I definitely have mountain blood running through my veins.
Check out my gorgeous Tibetan singing bowl, giving to me by the lovely and talented Ann Martin of Mile High Healing Vibe! Often I put it on my head and tap it to clear my mind before I begin to write. It’s amazing!