Writers ResourcesLinks and resources to improve your craft and share your work
Resources for All Writers
Books & Market Guides
- Wild Ink: How to Write Fiction for Young Adults by Victoria Hanley, Cottonwood Press
- Writer’s Digest Books
Children’s Writers and Illustrators Market (current year)
- Institute for Children’s Literature
Book Markets for Children’s Writers (current year) and Magazine Markets for Children’s Writers (current year)
- The SCBWI Annual Market Report (both are for members only) Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators
- WriteForKids Great for new and established writers of children’s publishing.
- Publishers Weekly
About books for all ages, children and adults. Articles, book reviews.
- School Library Journal
Articles and book reviews targeting public and school librarians working with children and young adults.
- The Horn Book
Articles, essays, and extensive book reviews of books for children and young adults.
- Book List Online
Publications of the American Library Association; book reviews for librarians working with children and young adults.
- Diverse Books Resources to help you write more diversely.
- Who’s Moving Where?
Great source for seeing which editors are moving to which houses
- Children’s Book Council (CBC)
Members are listed here with their manuscript acceptance policies.
- American Library Association (ALA)*Bulletin for the Center for Children’s Books
Book review journal for school and public librarians working with children and young adults.
- New York Times Book Review*
Reviews of books, including children’s books.
- Writing World*
Resource for a variety of writing opportunities.
- Publishers’ Catalogues*
Search for publisher websites and view their current lists.
- Writers Market.com ($29.99/year)*
Online version of their book market guide, with searchable fields.
- Publishers Lunch*
Free e-mail service listing recent book deals, for both children’s and writers of books for adults.
- Publishers Marketplace ($15/mo)*
Similar to Lunch, above, except you get ALL book deals and access to a searchable database of all deals.
- Getting the Most Out of a Conference Critique Wonderful advice from author Dianne Ochiltree about preparing for a one-on-one in-person critique at a conference. Though she focuses on agents and editors, these suggestions also apply to critiques with authors.
There are hundreds of resources for writers on the Internet–this is only a small sampling!
Resources for Young Writers
- Seize the Story: A Handbook for Teens Who Like to Write by Victoria Hanley (Cottonwood Press, 2008)
- The Young Writer’s Guide to Getting Published by Kathy Henderson Writer’s Digest Books; 6th edition (May 1, 2001)
- Children’s Writers and Illustrators Market (current year) (Writer’s Digest Books) You’ll need an adult to assist if you are under 18.
- Rhyme Zone
Find rhymes, synonyms and definitions for words
- Merriam Webster Dictionary
Online dictionary, check your definitions or use the thesaurus
- Fact Monster
Online encyclopedia, check your facts
- Glossary of Literary Terms
- Guide to Grammar & Writing
- Rules for Effective Writing
If you live in or around Denver, CO, check out the wonderful youth classes at Lighthouse Writers Workshop.
Showcases work previously published along with inviting new young people to contribute both stories and art.
- Stone Soup
Unique among children’s magazines — it’s the only magazine made up entirely of the creative work of children, ages 8 to 13.
- Young Authors Guide
List of publications for young authors
- Young Writers Resources
Lots of links to resources for kids and teens at Writing World.
- Markets for kids and teens
This site has articles, tips, and places for young people to submit their writing.
KidPub was created in 1995 as a safe, fun place for kids to improve their writing skills by sharing their stories, poems, reviews, and other creative writing with a worldwide audience. KidPub is a membership site. ($12.95/year) Also, offers self-publication.
- Kids on the Net
Kids on the Net was one of the first websites on the internet to invite children to submit their writing. Also has fun creative writing games and tips.
- Rookie Magazine
An independent online magazine that publishes writing, photography, and other forms of artwork by and for teenagers
- The Claudia Ann Seaman Poetry Award Contest in memory of Claudia Ann Seaman. Winners appear in upcoming issues.
- Letters About Literature
State and national levels for young writers.
- New Voices Young Writers
Current contest for young writers.
Many schools, cities and states have contests for students. Check out contests in your local area!
Resources for Picture Book Writers
Picture Books Tips on YouTube
Below are writers and sites that have awesome info and inspiration that I follow or visit regularly.
READING FOR RESEARCH
12 x 12 Challenge
Picture Book Builders Blog
Picture Book Writing Week
Created and hosted by author Paula Yoo, challenge yourself even more with 7 picture books in 7 days!
– Dr. Suess